Thursday, April 18, 2013

GENETICALLY MODIFIED SALMON SOON IN STORES NEAR YOU!


Yale Environment 360 had an online debate on genetically modified salmon between Elliot Entis and Paul Greenberg. Elliot Entis is the co-founder and for CEO of AquaBounty Technologies, the company creating the genetically modified salmon. Paul Greenberg is the author of Four Fish: The Future of the Last Wild Food and is a known critic of "Frankenfish", a termed used to name the altered salmon. The genetically modified fish are introduced with an eel like fish's DNA to help them reach the harvesting weight in only 9 months instead of the 18 months it normally takes. The FDA has already granted preliminary approval in December and after a public comment period, which ends on April 26th; the fish could get the final approval from the FDA to be sold in the US. 

I have heard this subject come up in multiple of my classes so this is serious and a current event that could potentially still change. I hope that the FDA would recognize how this goes against the laws of nature and should be reconsidered for human consumption. I would hope people would reduce their need for salmon instead of reducing their standards. I also like some of the comments of the debate that deals with other types of opinions, like those of the KOSHER community. It was interesting to read about a culture that I don’t know much about and their opinion on a subject that I am interested in.




1 comment:

  1. Well to be honest I have no want to eat anything labeled "frankenfish". I think this is just another example of people trying to play mother nature and ruining things.

    ReplyDelete