Sunday, February 10, 2013

Eco-Friendly Eating

I cannot help but think of my impact on the environment anytime I do anything, especially when it comes to eating. I am not from Nebraska and I haven't been able to venture out much in Lincoln, so sometimes I find it hard to find Eco-friendly options here. I live in the dorms without a kitchen so for now I must rely on the dining halls and food places near the school. Many of the restaurants downtown always give you lots of wrapping, bags, and some even Styrofoam that you just end up throwing away minutes later, something I cannot understand the point at all. There are many things we can do to green the way we eat including:

1. Eat Local

Eating local is one of the best things we can do for the environment food wise as the closer the food is, the less emissions is takes to bring the food to where it is distributed. Usually I hear  100 miles away or less is considered local. Being in Nebraska we cannot really eat locally easily all year round as the climate can be harsh, but we can avoid choosing foods that are not in season. Local foods also are better for the environment as not as much packaging is needed and it is fresher as it does not have to travel thousands of miles. Even growing spices, fruits, and vegetables in your own home can help. At my home, my mother is Thai so we have a lot of basil and Thai peppers in our backyard to use for cooking. We also grow eggplants, squash, long beans, cucumbers, and others.

(Me picking basil leaves in the garden ^__^)

2. Choose Organic

It can be difficult to chose organic foods that are also local, but overall organic foods are much better for the environment, removing the impact of the use of synthetic pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, etc. Although some are argumentative about the impact of organic foods on the body, there is no doubt it is much better for our environment, especially for diverse ecosystems, to choose organic. Some organics can be expensive, but I think of it as paying for a better environment rather than being a little bit cheaper to support the use of pesticides and such. If you must be picky about which organics you chose, I have heard to stay away from buying conventional apples, potatoes, strawberries, lettuce, and carrots. Some organic foods must be delivered from miles away so it is important to also factor in locality of the foods.

3. Get use to reading labels

It is always recommended to read the nutrition facts on labels, but make sure to also read the ingredients and other things written on there as well. Now that I have researched what chemicals and preservatives that go into food, I find it very hard for myself to buy foods that seem to be anything but food. Whenever you are buying produce, look for USDA Organic, also, all fruits and vegetables have a 5 digit number or PLU code, and the rule is if it starts with a 4, it is conventional, an 8, a GMO, genetically modified food, and if it starts with a 9, it is organic. When choosing eggs, look for labels like "cage-free" or free range. Sometimes when you see expiration dates, think the longer the shelf life, the more impact it could possibly have on the environment from all the chemicals used to make it last longer.


4. Eat less Meat and dairy products

Eating less meat and dairy can lessen carbon emissions significantly. Even not eating meat for one day out of the week can lessen the impact greatly as it requires a lot of fossil fuels and intensive agriculture to provide "feed" for the animals. Also consider when you do eat meat or dairy products, eating organic, locally raised, and grass-fed to lessen the use of hormones and pesticides.

5. Consider packaging

There are so many easy ways to reduce the waste you throw away. From using reusable containers, bringing your own lunch in reusable containers (BPA free and Eco-friendly containers are best), bringing your own bags (or tell them you don't need a bag), and always have a reusable water bottle on you. When you are choosing packed foods, look for packages you can recycle as well as consider the impact of buying foods in plastic packaging that took lots of oil and fossil fuels to create them. Look for foods with little packaging and buy some in bulk. 

(In the summer when I had a job, I always made my own salads for lunch, very fast and easy to make! ^__^)


There are many more ways to eat green and this website shows 33 ways:
http://healthland.time.com/2012/08/24/33-ways-to-eat-environmentally-friendly/

In my hometown, Kansas City, I would like to point out some Eco-friendly restaurants I have found and go to frequently, so if you are ever in Kansas City, consider these places to eat!

1. FüD (Pronounced Food) (http://eatfud.com/)

"FüD is all about making vegan food accessible to everyone by reinterpreting American favorites into an all-veg, organic, local menu bursting with flavor." (taken from website)

Everything here tastes AMAZING! I would recommend the Smoky Tofu Sandwich or Jack Barbeque(BBQ Jackfruit!) and they can come with salads. 

(Jack BBQ Sandwhich, no meat)
(Smoky Tofu Sandwhich with Avocado and homemade mustard sauces)



2. Blue Bird Bistro (http://www.bluebirdbistro.com/)

This restaurant is a little on the pricey side, but they even have their own sustainable garden right across from the building.They serve organic, all-natural, sustainable and local foods and it tastes great!

(Wild salmon egg's Benedict)

3. Cafe Gratitude (http://cafegratitudekc.com/) (http://cafegratitude.com/)

By far one of my favorites, all of their food is local, organic, and vegan. I recommend the "I Am Nourished" sandwich, sunflower and avocado or "I Am Gracious" hemp seed pesto bowl with brown rice or quinoa.

(Homemade Vegan Tiramisu)


Please let me know about some Eco-Friendly restaurants or markets in Lincoln! I have only heard about of Maggie's and Natural Grocers.







4 comments:

  1. Open Harvest Co-op Grocery in Lincoln and Pepe's Restaurant http://pepesbistro.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article!

    Eating local is a great thing to do. When I lived in Madison, WI there was a farmer's market every day of the week. My family made it a "family-affair" and always looked forward to going on Thursdays to pick out our yummy local food. It will be great when the farmer's markets are open here in Lincoln for the season.

    Choosing organic is also a nice way to go. Unfortunately, like you mentioned, it can be a little pricey there are some things I've learned to always buy organic and some things I sacrifice on because of the price.

    Reading labels is SOOO important!! It's insane what marketers can get away with putting on the front that completely distracts people from the back where the ingredients are. My mom is diabetic and has spent a lot of time really getting to know the food she's eating. Because of this I can never avoid checking a label. It's also pretty surprising sometimes not just the bad stuff but always what turns out to be better for you!

    I do have to disagree about eating less meat, however I see your point about the "energy" we use to obtain meat. Instead of ruling out meat all together, I think there should be a movement in how we process meat. Things definitely shouldn't change the way they are but I could never live without meat, I love it too much.

    You summer lunch looks delicious! It's really worth buying quality reusable containers to make your own healthy, delicious meals. Wish you could be here this summer to help me with my garden! Even though we can't garden in the winter, if we plant properly, we will have enough to last through the winter. It's pretty great! We also do a lot of canning which helps maximize what we get from our crop every fall.

    Love your perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME. I try to eat local and organic, I get on cycles it seems like. Ill have a good month and a bad couple of weeks. but these tips will help alot! I think the biggest thing to do is have some sort of home garden. People think that it takes alot of work, but in reality you can stay on top of the issues by taking an hour a week pulling weeds and trimming up needed spots. Im excited about the green onions and radishes I planted this year! good gardening to you!

    ReplyDelete