Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fracking Concerns

On the Environmental News Network website, there is a very interesting article on Fracking and concerns with it and the effects on animals. If you are wondering, fracking is short for hydrofracking or hydraulic fracturing. It is a process of extracting natural gas and oil by injecting water and chemicals underneath the ground. The water and chemicals are pumped into the ground, which causes pressure to form and create cracks for the gas. The gas is then brought to the surface by wells.

There have been lots of talk with fracking and if it is safe or not. Some concerns with fracking include groundwater protection, the possible cause of earthquakes due to fracking, and hazardous waste products resulted from fracking. There are also many different sides and point of views for fracking and if we should continue with it or not. I'm not against any one's opinions or anything, I just found this article to be an interesting read on an argument I have not heard a lot about yet. Below, is a link to the article. Enjoy!

http://www.enn.com/wildlife/article/45524

~Kathryn Moore

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your blog on fracking and read the article. I was not for fracking before I read this article and this article makes me more against it. I don't think its natural to be forcing something out of of the earth with chemicals and water. To think that livestock could be becoming ill because of this I wonder if we will be seeing these affects in humans? It will be interesting to see if there are more health problems from people eating the cattle that have been affected by it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It hasn't been an issue where I was on one side or the other, I just needed to learn more about it. With all of the concerns for livestock health, it makes me wonder what else could this be effecting. Not only us, but the environment around it and other animals. I'm also interested to see what else comes up in the news about it.

    ReplyDelete